Friday, July 31, 2009

Jal

The other morning at work, my "undercover racist" co worker was listening to a song on Youtube, and from my desk I could hear it. I started listening to the song, and I said to myself "what is Joe listening to??, that's not rock music!" (Now from spending time with you (Sheala) in Morocco and at your house, I've come to recognize pakistani music). Apparently Joe, my co worker, was listening to a song called "Kash Yeh Pal" by the Pakistani group Jal, naturally I was shocked, so I got up to see what he was doing. He tells me, "Even though it is Indian, I really like this song! It's cool", now it has always bothered me when people call Pakistanis, Indians, I mean it's two different countries, get it correct! But anyways... so then I tell him "No Joe, they're Pakistani, see it says it next to the video", Joe-with a very confused look on his face, says "It's what?? Yea Indian, like the corner store people, is that what you mean?" My temper started to rise, but I wanted to keep calm, I was at work, plus it's not worth it to get all worked up because of someone's ignorance! So I wa nice enough to show him a map on google, so he could understand what I was talking about... Then he gets all offended, because he thinks I'm being arrogant and trying to show off! So I just let it go.

To make a long story short, I really liked the song he was listening to! So here it is:



Side note: I call my coworker "undercover racist" because he tends to use racial slurs alot, but then gets all defensive when you tell him that he shouldn't talk about people like that, and says "O, but I'm not racist, I'm just saying.... BLAH BLAH BLAH!"


Posted By Zarga

3 comments:

Zarga said...

Sheala, can you please tell me what the title of the song means? :)

Baji said...

ok it's hard to explain lol cuz there's no direct translation, but, kash is kind of like "i wish" or "i hope" or "only if.." and yeh pal is "this moment". so im guessing the most direct translation is "only if this moment or i wish this moment" lol

Zarga said...

Thanks for translating:)