Saturday, February 6, 2010

L.A. wedding

Unlike the average desi, I've only been to a handful of weddings in my life (mine not included.) Last October, Poops and I ventured out to the mysterious west coast...to a place called Los Angeles. It was my first time on the west coast and I loved the views from the airplane. However, those few October days we were in LA (and we went to Vegas for a day) were some of the hottest I've experienced (and I'm from Miami with 100% Karachi blood in me.) Nevertheless, we were there for Poops' friend's wedding.
So this was more or less my first desi wedding in the U.S. and I was pretty shocked by how well decorated the events were. I mean, of course, there's nothing like a wedding "back home," but I think this was pretty well planned out.

Here's the bride's sister and brother "walking down the aisle" before the bride walks down the aisle with her father and mother on each side.
Just a side note: I do find it odd that desi weddings are beginning to look more and more like "western" weddings. You're probably asking how I know that since I've only been to a handful...right? Well I do have facebook and youtube (BUT I'm saving that for the Amreeki Chichora series!)

And here's the groom and bride on stage with the imam. I really liked the stage and the overall ambience they created in the huge room. I don't have too many pictures of the rest of the wedding hall but all eyes are on the stage anyways.
I'll put up some pictures of the mehndi event.



5 comments:

aneebaba said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Tauqeer said...

From youtube experience, I agree with those weddings to be way too 'western' in look...

Baji said...

Yes, Tauqeer.

I mean everytime i talk about this topic with a relative or desi friend, I come off sounding like a fatwa dehne wali badi aapa.

Zarga said...

lol @ Baji

Sadly, Arab weddings have also been influenced by the West.

Unknown said...

I am very happy to see this wedding. Few days ago I was in my friend’s wedding at one of Chicago event space where had everything excellent done. It was all managed by wedding planner. I am greatly impressed with his work and want to book him for my wedding too.